Skilled Worker Visa
Formally known as Tier 2 General
The UK Skilled Worker Visa is designed for individuals outside the UK, who have been offered a skilled job within the country. The visa can last up to 5 years and offers a pathway to settlement and potential British citizenship.
To be eligible for the UK Skilled Worker Visa, applicants must fulfil several specific requirements:
- Job Offer: You must have a job offer from an employer in the UK who has been approved by the Home Office as a licensed sponsor.
- Appropriate Skill Level: The job you're offered must be at a skill level of RQF3 (A-Level) or above as defined by the Home Office. In some cases, specific roles will require a higher level.
- Salary Threshold: The job offer must meet the minimum salary requirement, which is generally £25,600 per year or the "going rate" for the job type, whichever is higher. Certain exceptions can apply based on the "tradeable points" system, which considers qualifications, job shortage occupations, and applicants' ages.
- English Proficiency: You must prove your knowledge of English at the required B1 level, as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This can be proven through passing an approved English language test or having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognized by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, master's degree, or PhD.
- Financial Requirement: Unless exempt, you may need to demonstrate that you have enough personal savings to support yourself for your initial time in the UK without needing public funds.
- Additional Criteria: There may be additional criteria based on individual circumstances. For example, switching from another visa category within the UK may have separate rules.
Fees and Disbursements
You can view information about fees, disbursements and timescales on our SRA fee disclaimer page