parents are British – please contact us for specific advice in this area.
To be eligible to apply to naturalise as a British citizen you must be able to show that:
You will need to prove that you have been in the UK exactly 5 years before the day the Home Office receives your application.
You should also have lived in the UK for at least 5 years before the date of your application and have spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during the 5
years before your application and spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months. The Home Office may exercise discretion in relation to the
Your children can ‘register’ as British citizens and must apply separately.
- You are over 18
- Prove your knowledge of English language – this must be an English qualification at a minimum level B1 or a degree taught or researched in English
- You have passed the Life in the UK test
- Meet the residence requirements.
- Intend to continue living in the UK
- Be of good character, and
- Not have broken any UK immigration laws.
Fees and Disbursements
You can view information about fees, disbursements and timescales on our SRA fee disclaimer page