Our Services

Frontier Worker Permit

The Frontier Work Permit is intended for nationals of EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein. You may wish to apply for this if you work in the UK while living in another country.
The permit allows the holder to prove their right to access benefits and services including NHS healthcare. You can also use it to prove your right to work or rent if you have a digital version.


You may be eligible for this route if you began ‘eligible work’ in the UK by 31 December 2020. Eligible work includes anything which is ‘genuine and effective’: ie. more than small, one-off tasks. This work should usually take place at least once in every 12 months period since you started working in the UK.

Your primary residence must be outside of the UK which is determined by how much time you have spent in the UK since 1 January 2020. You should have spent less than a total of 180 days in the UK over any given 12 month period.

Although most cases should fall under the general rules above, you may still be eligible for this route under certain exceptions even if you have spent too much time in the UK or were unemployed during certain periods.

As a general rule, you will usually be granted a permit for 5 years but in certain exceptional circumstances this may be 2 years.
You can apply for an extension from within the UK before your permit expires which will usually grant you up to a further 5 years. You must continue to meet the eligibility criteria to do so.

Fees and Disbursements

You can view information about fees, disbursements and timescales on our SRA fee disclaimer page


Get In Touch